The search for a model and young mother kidnapped earlier this summer ended in tragedy after authorities say they found her body buried in a shallow mass grave.
The Sun reported that Yessenia Estefania Alvarado, 24, was one of seven people found dead and buried in the shallow grave in the Mexican region of Canal Bajo on September 20.
Alvarado is the only victim that has been publicly identified.
The model and mother-of-one was apparently kidnapped on August 19 while she was shopping in Ciudad Obregón, a city in the Mexican state of Sonora that borders Arizona and New Mexico to its north.
It has been reported that up to five additional bodies may have been uncovered, although the extra deaths have not been confirmed by prosecutors.
Alvarado was reportedly kidnapped on August 19 by four men in a pickup truck. The model was identified as one of the shallow grave victims by DNA testing.
Family members also confirmed her identity by using clothing found in the grave, The Mirror reported.
“Fly high sister. I’m going to miss you so much my sister, my life partner, see you soon to be back together, my Queen,” her brother Juan Carlos Alvarado Rivera said after her death was confirmed.
Forensic investigators are continuing to probe the grave site for more clues.
A young mother has been found dead in a mass gave after she was grabbed off the street by a gang of four men and thrown into a pick up truck.The Mirror
The Daily Mail reported that Alvarado’s family said the kidnappers attempted to extort them for money after the model’s disappearance — but the kidnappers eventually dropped communication.
Mexican authorities have arrested three suspects in connection with the model’s death and the shallow grave killings, but the suspects have not been publicly identified.
Local police have confirmed the remains of six other bodies in the grave including three men, two women, and a victim whose gender has not been established yet. None of the victims other than Alvarado have been identified.
Alvarado’s family has not yet issued a formal statement on the grim discovery, according to The Toronto Sun.
On September 20, investigators from the Criminal Investigation Agency anti-kidnapping unit obtained a search warrant for a property in the Sonora municipality of Cajeme, where they discovered a mass grave with seven people.Daily Mail
Prosecutors have remained tight-lipped about the investigation into the deaths, which remains ongoing.
A judge has ordered the suspects arrested in connection with the case to remain in custody while defense lawyers and prosecutors go over the case, The Daily Mail reported.
It is not known if the model’s kidnapping and shallow grave deaths are linked to cartel activity.
Since Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador took office in December 2018, a total of 3,663 people have been reported kidnapped in 2,874 incidents from that time until August of this year, according to the Daily Mail.
So far, prosecutors have not confirmed whether additional bodies have been found, although the macabre discovery has been widely reported.Toronto Sun