How Donald Trump’s developer dad and a Brooklyn rabbi saved a synagogue

Advertisements

When congregants enter the Beach Haven Jewish Center in Gravesend, Brooklyn, they pass a small plaque hanging just outside the main sanctuary.

“Fred Trump. Humanitarian,” declare the gold embossed, all-caps letters. “Let this plaque be a token of our sincerest appreciation, never to be forgotten, always to be a shining light to all men who have faith.”

The plaque, inscribed Dec. 15, 1956, is the most visible reminder of an unlikely and mostly unknown friendship between the Lutheran real estate developer — and father of President Trump — and this enclave of Orthodox Jews in Brooklyn.

“I would say that the Beach Haven Jewish Center would not be what it is today, if not for Mr. Fred Trump,” Rabbi Shimmy Silver told The Post. “We are grateful for his kindness and forever indebted to him for what he has done for our community,”

In the 1950s, Brooklyn’s Jewish community was exploding as new arrivals — many of them Holocaust survivors — tried to begin new lives.

This presented a dilemma for Rabbi Israel Wagner, whose congregation was starting to outgrow the garage of a building in Fred Trump’s Beach Haven development complex where it had been previously meeting.

So in 1955, he set out to meet the landlord.

Wagner, a native of Poland, wasn’t sure what to expect when he met Fred Trump. They had never spoken and the rabbi only knew the real estate magnate by his tough reputation.

The two hit it off immediately. Trump donated the land on Brooklyn’s Avenue Z, to Wagner’s congregation. A deed of sale from October 1955 shows the land officially transferring from Fred to the new Jewish center for $10. The elder Trump also financed much of the construction costs, as the new house of worship was born a year later.

Fred Trump (left) receiving a certificate of appreciation from a congregant at the opening of the Beach Haven Jewish Center on Avenue Z in Gravesend.

Helayne Seidman

Fred Trump (left) and Rabbi Israel Wagner at the opening of the Beach Haven Jewish Center on Avenue Z in Gravesend, Brooklyn.

Helayne Seidman

The deed of the Beach Haven Jewish Center.

Helayne Seidman

The congregation at the opening of the Beach Haven Jewish Center on Avenue Z in Gravesend, Brooklyn.

Helayne Seidman

Fred Trump speaks at the opening of the Beach Haven Jewish Center. At Fred’s right is Rabbi Wagner, the founding rabbi who became a friend of Fred.

Helayne Seidman

Photo of a fundraising dinner journal from The Beach Haven Jewish Center.

Helayne Seidman

The real estate of the Beach Haven Jewish Center when it opened in 1956.

Helayne Seidman

A Queens middle school teacher waited more than three hours…

7

View Slideshow